Come in + get cozy with SR summer reads. Dive into new worlds from the comfort of wherever you are. We’ve got some books to get us educated as we support Black authors, stories and characters.
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
For when you are looking to learn and laugh at the same time.
- How does “fitting in” in this memoir reframe your traditional ways of thinking about this?
- Do you think Noah is an optimist?
- What was the most eye-opening story for you and why?
- Who did you relate to most in the memoir?
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
For when you are looking for a compelling book that makes you ask, “What would I do?”
- Why do you think Jones chose this title for the book?
- Who is the most and least sympathetic character in the book? And why?
- Jones does not specify the race of the woman who accused Roy of rape, how did you picture her? Does this impact your view on the storyline?
- What is your perspective on Celestial’s silence in regards to Roy’s impact on her work as an artist? Why does she do this?
Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
For an energetic look at British Black womanhood.
- Which relationship in the book do you find the most credible? The most compelling?
- How would you describe how men are portrayed in this book?
- Betrayal is a theme in this book. In your perspective, which is the greatest betrayal?
- If you could be friends with one of the characters, who would it be and why?
Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
For a modern guide on how to raise a feminist daughter.
- How has this book changed your perspective on language?
- Did you have a favorite passage from the book? Which one and why?
- Of the fifteen suggestions, which one surprised you the most?
- Is there a feminist perspective that’s missing here?
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
For a story about the resilience of the human spirit.
- How are men portrayed in this novel? What role do they play?
- “Cecile could not fight, but knew how to stay alive.” Unpack this.
- Is the relationship between Celie and Nettie reciprocal?
- When the novel ends, how are you left feeling?